1. Save your dollars, and enjoy the Granada Theater’s summer line up with Mayer Hawthorne (May 16), Brett Dennen (May 21), Modern English (May 22), Trampled by Turtles (June 7) and Gregory Alan Isakov and the Ghost Orchestra with Langhorne Slim (July 1). Various locations, dates and prices.
2. Celebrate the oft-neglected suburb that didn’t even make it into our name, and show the Dirty Irv some love at its upcoming events: Taste of Irving (May 14) and Irving Canal Fest (June 11). Las Colinas Urban Center, Cimarron Park Recreation Center. Free.
3. All at least tangentially related to Texas, the bands at HomeGrown Fest should make for quite the party. And anyway, outdoor music is the reason God created summer. May 14. Main Street Garden Park. $35.
4. Soak in some cinematic culture at the Oak Cliff Film Festival. You might not know what’s going on, but at least you’ll look cool. Various theaters. June 16-19. $10 for one movie or $35 for four, also includes free events.
5. Can’t get enough of Les Mis? Pinteresting Parisian style? Monets make you drool? Francophiles unite at Bastille on Bishop. Fluency not required. July 14. Bishop Arts District. Free.
6. An event worth writing a country song about, Rockin’ the River promises the Trinity River’s best view. Cold beer, free music and buns in the water — what more could you want? Summer Thursdays. Trinity River. Free (not including tube rental).