Last Saturday night the University of Dallas men’s basketball team (1-5) lost to area rival Austin College (2-3), 65-59.
Here are the highlights:
– Junior forward Tanner Bruffey led the Crusaders with 23 points (6-20 from the field and 10-12 from the free throw line).
– Austin College shot 43.3 percent from the field and 33.3 percent from the 3-point line to earn a 29-22 advantage at halftime.
– The Crusaders shot only 23.1 percent from the field and 22.2 percent from the 3-point line in the first half.
– Dallas, however, kept the game within reach by shooting 8-9 from the free throw line in the first half while Austin College shot only 53.3 percent from the charity stripe.
– UD outscored Austin College 37-36 in the second half but failed to close their seven point halftime deficit.
– Dallas put pressure on the Austin ‘Roos by shooting 47.4 percent from the field and 33.3 percent from the 3-point line.
– Sophomore guard Braeton Hightower complemented Bruffey’s effort by scoring 10 points and dropping two assists.
– Freshman forward Alex Winebarger contributed nine points and four rebounds while freshman forward Aaron Wyatt added seven points and six rebounds in 16 minutes.
– Fellow freshman Kym Malone scored six points, all from the free throw line.
Tomorrow the Crusaders will travel to Keene, Texas, to face Southwestern Adventist University. Over winter “break” the Crusaders will play seven games; three consecutively at home before four consecutively on the road.